Solar eclipse from Weyler Square - November 2013



About the image…

Image title – Solar eclipse from Weyler Square.
Taken at – Weyler Square, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Instrument – Camera Nikon D3s, objective 70-200 f:2.8.
Images taken and reduced by – Luis M. Chinarro.
Text  Pablo Rodríguez-Gil.

About the Object…

The final eclipse event of 2013 was a rare hybrid or annular/total eclipse in which some sections of the path of the Moon's shadow are annular while other parts are total (http://eclipse.star.gs/english/hybrid.png). The duality comes about when the vertex of the Moon's umbral shadow pierces Earth's surface at some locations, but falls short of the planet along other sections of the path. The unusual geometry is due to the curvature of Earth's surface that brings some geographic locations into the umbra while other positions are more distant and enter the antumbral rather than umbral shadow. In most cases, the central path begins annular, changes to total for the middle portion of the track, and reverts back to annular towards the end of the path. However, November 3 eclipse was even more unique because the central path began annular and ended total. Because hybrid eclipses occur near the vertex of the Moon's umbral/antumbral shadows, the central path is typically quite narrow.

Unfortunately, the 2013 November 3 hybrid eclipse was a partial solar eclipse as observed from the Canary Islands (see http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2013-Fig05.pdf), with about 40 per cent of the Sun disc eclipsed by the Moon's shadow at eclipse maximum. This didn't prevent local astrophotographers from taking beautiful images like the one selected for the November AIM. This time the image was not shot at any of our high-altitude astronomical observatories, but rather close to sea level, precisely from 'Plaza de Weyler', a central square of the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The two children depicted in the photograph are at the top of the old Carrara marble fountain located at the centre of the square. This Neo-renaissance fountain was built in 1899 by Italian artist Achille Canessa (1856-1905).